Aims & Objectives
The Trust Will:
- Promote maritime archaeological study in accordance with professional and museum codes of conduct and practice.
- Promote the in situ preservation and management of important archaeological sites in its area of interest.
- Support local, regional and national initiatives for improvements to the legislation regarding the preservation and management of the maritime archaeological heritage.
- Promote public awareness, enjoyment and participation in the maritime archaeological heritage.
- Provide a maritime archaeological service to Hampshire County Council, the Isle of Wight Council, Southampton City Council, Portsmouth City Council and other Local Authorities.
- Ensure that the maritime archaeology plays an important role in coastal planning, management and policies in the Solent and Wight areas.
- Carry out maritime archaeological surveys and investigations for incorporation into environmental assessments and similar studies.
- Compile and maintain a database, and base chart, of all known maritime archaeological sites in the Solent and Wight areas and exchange information with local SMR holders and the National Archaeological Record (Maritime Sites).
- Promote archaeological awareness and competence amongst divers.
- Support, and where possible, assist in the publication of the results of maritime archaeological investigations, surveys and research undertaken in the Solent, Wight and adjacent South Coast areas.
- Liase with other local, regional and national organisations involved in maritime archaeology and related disciplines.
The HWTMA is a charitable trust (registered charity number 900025 )